Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sacrifice for the Kingdom

OK, I admit it. I’m a total emotional wreck.

Beyond just learning that my dad’s wife has lung cancer (thanks for your prayers).

Beyond the fact that it’s REALLY beginning to hit me that my baby girl is getting married in only months.

No, it’s none of that.

I just left a meeting of the IMB (our missionary sending agency of the Southern Baptist Convention) where I met some of the finest young couples in the whole country who are leaving EVERYTHING to go around the world to tell people about Jesus.

THEN, on top of that, I just left a session where we had a memorial service for the IMB missionaries who passed away serving the Lord. 32 missionaries (retired and active) who have served a total of over 1100 years – YEARS, not days or months. Unbelievable.

I heard their names called, and just broke down and wept because of their faithfulness and ministry for Jesus. I was literally moved to my bones with gratitude for their sacrifice for the Kingdom.

Then, I thought of these young couples we are appointing this week. I have met them, talked to them, prayed with them – they are incredible. The finest of the finest.

PLEASE, PRAY FOR THEM.

  • Pray for Michael and Crystal – a young couple with four little kids heading to Peru.
  • Pray for Greg and Kim – a couple with four kids (two recently adopted) heading to Mexico.
  • Pray for a couple from Rockwall, Texas – David Miller’s home town.
  • Pray for a couple from Spartanburg, coming out of a church pastored by one of my closest friends from seminary.
  • Can’t remember all their names – but God knows. And, they are incredible folks.

I am called to pastor a church – McGregor Baptist Church, and I love it. I am NOT called to be a missionary; I couldn’t do it. Too tough. I’m a wimp.

My hat’s off to these folks. My heart is with these folks. My soul rejoices for these folks.

My tears keep coming.

No comments: