Thursday, February 14, 2008

Study Break

A couple of times every year, I try to get away - I mean really get away for an extended period of time - and just study and pray and prepare for preaching.

That's what I'm doing this week. Imagine 10 to 14 hours each day doing nothing but looking at God's Word, praying about the needs of our people and listening for God's voice as to what to preach and teach.
It is awesome!! I love it!! It is the very idea of "drawing near to the Lord" - it is such a blessing.

Here's why I share that with you. I look forward to this week perhaps more than any other time all year. More than Christmas or Easter - I look forward to these times of being alone with the Lord. It is an incredible blessing to leave the stresses of this world and focus only on the Lord. The world, the church, the ministry, the noise, my own carnality - all these things make it so hard to focus totally on the Lord. For me, perhaps just like you, I yearn to be closer to the Lord every passing day.

I want to challenge you to strive to have a time to focus ONLY on the Lord. A few minutes each day, maybe one evening each month, perhaps a couple of days each year - to super focus on being alone with God. That time is so awesome and special to me.

I just wanted to share that with you. That's really private to me - but I wanted you to know.
I'm having a GREAT week - now, more than ever I can't wait to get back and be with you.
Can't wait to be with you on Sunday!!

Pray and expect God to do BIG things - that only He can do - in YOU!!

rp

No comments: